1000 Books Before Kindergarten
This FREE program encourages you to read 1,000 books to your child before they enter kindergarten, a goal experts say children need to help them learn to read independently. Stop by the library to register your child!
Ready to Read
How it Works
|You are your child’s first teacher and your home is where your child begins to learn. When you talk, sing, read, write, and play you are helping your child get ready to read. Children who are read to at an early age will be better prepared to learn.
- Have heard more than 30 million words by age three
- Have a significantly larger vocabulary by age six, dramatically impacting reading success
- Score higher on reading, math and general knowledge test.
- Any child from birth to until Kindergarten are eligible to begin this program.
- Sign up and begin reading together.
- Record the books in your 1000 Books Folder.
- Read the same book more than once? Record it each time. Books read at library story time, at daycare or by others to your child also count!
- After each 100 books read, bring your folder to the library and receive a FREE book along with another set of pages for your folder.
- After finishing 1000 books your child will have received 10 books of their very own along with an awesome jumpstart on success in school.